Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
Titre propre
[Dr Henderson's Residence]
Dénomination générale des documents
Titre parallèle
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
Niveau de description
Pièce
Zone de l'édition
Mention d'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
Date(s)
-
1885 (Production)
- Producteur
- Power, John
Zone de description matérielle
Description matérielle
1 architectural drawing
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
Notice biographique
John Power (1816-1882) came to Kingston from England in 1846. Given the lack of formal training facilities, it might be assumed that John Power's early architectural training and experience was gained under his father, an architect/builder in Devonshire. In Kingston, it is thought that John Power first assisted in architectural work in the offices of Edward Horsey, a fellow emigrant from Devonshire and probably the brother of John Horsey, with whom Power travelled to Canada. The first professional mention of Power working on his own is an 1850 item in the Kingston Daily News (March 22). Throughout the 1850s, '60s and '70s, Power's practice diversified including designs for houses, both single and multiple, several churches and schoolhouses. In 1862 he began what was to become a series of associations with governmental clients by assuming responsibility as joint architect with William Coverdale for the Watkins Wing of the Kingston General Hospital.
In 1873 Joseph Power (1849-1925) became a partner in his father's architectural firm, which then became known as Power & Son. This name was continued until 1919, in spite of John Power's death in 1882. Around 1880 a younger son, Thomas R.P. Power (1859-1930) also joined the practice although the name of the firm was never changed to reflect this addition to the practice. Colin Drever (1887-1975), educated at Heriot Watt College in Edinburgh and emigrated to Canada in 1911, worked for Power & Son from 1912 to 1915 and again in 1818. He was taken in as a partner in 1919, at which time drawings in the Power Collection began to be signed Power Son & Drever. Powers retired in 1923 leaving Dever on his own until 1945 when he was joined by Harry P. Smith (1905-1983), a graduate of the University of Toronto with a Bachelor of Architecture degree (1929). Drever retired in 1967.
Historique de la conservation
Portée et contenu
Item is a drawing of Dr Henderson's residence, corner of Bagot and William. Built 1885, signed "Power". It is a plan of the basement, ground and first floor.
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Classement
Langue des documents
- anglais
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Restrictions d'accès
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche
Éléments associés
Accroissements
Désignations alphanumériques
KAD 11
Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)
Zone du numéro normalisé
Numéro normalisé
Mots-clés
Mots-clés - Sujets
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle
Identifiant de la description du document
Identifiant du service d'archives
Règles ou conventions
Statut
Finale
Niveau de détail
Complet